Monday, June 19, 2006

Fashion Your Seat Belt


Thankfully, I wasn't the only one not clad in all white for last Wednesday's White Party hosted by Elevate.

I was half-white, with no racial pun intended.

While yet another event to raise founder Steve Caldwell a little dough to benefit Kids First of The Carolinas, the matter was a first-rate mid-week excuse to iron your best linen, and find a million reasons to spill sauce on it.

The flat rate ticket earned the usual unlimited beverage and food selections, and a fashion show at dusk provided by Modern Salon & Spa.

Now, I don't like fashion shows, because skinny models really creep me out, and I find fashion altogether effeminate. But the evening's brief raucous atmosphere and a well-oiled soundtrack didn't have me feeling like turning in my man card.

Instead, I reflected on the city's past, and realized that we never would have had something like this five or ten years ago.

***************
The16th Annual Lake Bash, hosted by aqua-celeb Ronnie Stephens, will raft up at its usual spot on Lake Norman at marker D-5 starting at 1 pm on Saturday.

Expect this reporter to be present, but I won't be working. Somehow the attraction of over three hundred boats and fifteen hundred people might encourage me to lose something valuable like a digital camera or a certain nightlife notebook, chock full of goodness with your business card after over three years of this work.

Bring your own beverage, food, and well, just about everything else as I wouldn't expect Mr. Stephens to foot your bill, either (hot dogs will be provided).

Directions by land? Find someone who has a boat, and mooch like me. If necessary, call Ronnie at 704-905-3457 or 704-664-6147 or www.lknfun.com's Nate Davis at 704-953-8138 for additional information.

***************
Cans would like for you to know that starting Sunday, June 25th at 8 pm, they will begin offering what I believe is the only live karaoke in the city, accompanied by local fave Orange Crush.

As a fellow crooner myself, a chance to sing with a live band is intriguing, but not on a Sunday. It takes a PBR tallboy or two of liquid courage beforehand, and I'll be darned if I'm going to miss Entourage on a school night.

But if you'll hug it out with me, maybe I could be easily persuaded otherwise.

Reach Bryan. All emails will be answered.

No comments: